Dawn of the Old Gods: Tyranny of Dragons
The Harpers is an old organization that has risen, been shattered, and risen again several times. Its longevity and resilience are largely due to its decentralized, grassroots, secretive nature, and the near-autonomy of many of its members. The Harpers have “cells” and lone operatives throughout Faerûn, although they interact and share information with one another from time to time as needs warrant. The Harpers’ ideology is noble, and its members pride themselves on their integrity and incorruptibility. Harpers do not seek power or glory, only fair and equal treatment for all.
Harper agents are trained to act alone and depend on their own resources. When they get into scrapes, they don’t count on their fellow Harpers to rescue them. Nevertheless, Harpers are dedicated to helping one another in times of need, and friendships between Harpers are nigh unbreakable. Although most Harpers prefer to operate in the shadows, there are exceptions, especially more recently. The Harpers are said to operate without placing to much responsiblity on a single leader, but a recent struggle to maintain control of the faction may have changed this…
Alignment and Beliefs
Harpers are known to come from a wide variety of good aligned deities, but a majority of Harpers worship the Deneir, Lliira, Eldath, or Mystra. Not all members are devout though and many members tend to place their faith in their own skill. Agents themselves are almost primarily good aligned.
- Hireling – This is the basic rank of the harper agents. Most members join the Harpers at this rank and must prove their loyalty to the realm and its upkeep before they are promoted past this rank.
- Oathmen (Agents) – This rank includes most members of the Harpers. Oathmen are the go to agents within the Harpers, carry out a majority of the Harpers contracts, and can be trusted to be morally strong. If someone within the Forgotten Realms has interacted with a Harper Agent they have most likely interacted with an Oathman.
- Lawman (Deneir’s Eyes) – The primary rank within the High Harpers. Lawmen give out missions within the political region that they oversee. Recently, lawmen have been recruited from a wider range of disciplines, including paladins, in hopes of cutting out corruption within the Harper ranks.
- . Kinsmen (Lliira’s Heart) – This rank is not common knowledge
- . Harpermaster (Mystra’s Boon) – This rank is not common knowledge
Granted Powers to Each Rank:
- Proficiency on Int (Investigation) checks
- 1/day advantage on an Int (Investigation) check
Harpers have recently been recruiting outside their normal means as ex-Harpermaster Khelban “Blackstaff” Arunsun made a deal with the Zhentarim and the Red Wizards of Thay to achieve what he thought was the “ultimate good.” He attempted to actively tap into the consciousness of large regions and purge those people with evil intent. Luckily, Blackstaff was stopped before his plan was brought to fruition and was immidiately ex-communicated from the Harpers.
After leaving, Blackstaff established another group called the Moonstars made up of members that left the Harpers alongside him. The Harpers have been in damage control since his departure as a majority of members that left with Blackstaff were High Harpers. This breakdown also prompted an overhaul of how the Harpers recruit new members, forcing them to actively seek Paladins, like Ontharr Frume, and sometimes even barbarians to add to their ranks.